Cush-A-Therm™. 1-1/2 Wall Thickness
Cush-A-Therm™ Clamp is a perfect crush-resistant airtight seal for chilled refrigeration or mechanical pipe lines that require continuous insulation.
- Rigid foam construction has an insulating tape inner lining to support tube and absorb vibration.
- Outer cover consists of a special rubber coating which seals the cushion after installation to prevent condensation.
- Strong closed-cell structure is ideal for liquid cooling lines to prevent condensation, save energy, and maintain the vapor barrier
ASHRAE Insulation Recommendations Cush-A-Therm is designed to meet the ASHRAE recommendations for insulation for mechanical systems which indicate that insulated pipe hangers should provide the following:
- Complete sealing of pipe against water vapor ingress and no interruption of the insulation envelope
- No energy transfer of cold to supporting clamp to prevent condensation of water and possible growth of mold. If the support incasing the insulation is in contact with the pipe or tube and supported by a metallic clamp, which is not protected by insulation, below ambient temperatures will be transfer to the clamp causing energy transfer and condensation.
- Limit or avoid compression at support location
• Temperature range: -70°F to +250°F (-56.7°C to +121°C)
• Flammability is Self-Extinguishing as tested under ASTM D 635
• Prevents condensation and maintains thermal barrier protection
• Properly supports pipe and tube and absorbs vibration
• Polyurethane foam laminated with a rubber lining
ASHRAE Section 23.13-23.14 further states when the goal is avoiding compression of low-compressive-strength insulation products, it is recommended to use high-strength insulation inserts made of a product that offers the desired compressive strength and other necessary performance properties. Other higher-strength materials that are not thermal insulation material and interrupt the insulation envelope, or do not allow complete sealing of an insulation system against water vapor ingress are not recommended for supporting insulated piping on pipe hangers. Note that wood blocks have poor thermal conductivity and are not recommended, especially for cold pipe systems. Insulated cold piping should receive special attention when exposed to ambient or unconditioned air. The Cush-A-Therm is a product that seals out air, and insulates the pipe/tube from the supporting clamp, and is therefore in compliance with the 2013 ASHRAE insulation recommendations.